Next to Bovingdon is the disused former World War II, Eighth Air Force and post-war Royal Air Force airfield, RAF Bovingdon. Between 19 it became a B-17 operational training base for units such as 92nd Bomber Group, B-17 Flying Fortress Combat Crew Replacement Centre (CCRC), 11th CCRC, and 8th USAAF HQ Squadron.The RAF resumed control until 1951, then the USAF took over again until 1962 flying B-26 Marauders, B-29 Superfortresses, and B-50 Superfortresses. Eisenhower's personal aircraft was said to be located here, as Bovingdon was the closest Eighth Air Force airfield to London.A lot of the taxiways, and the 2nd World War Bomb Dump trackways are mostly gone, a victim of hardcore reclamation, a common end of a large number of disused airfields in the UK.Climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year-round.
The airfield served as airport for Hemel Hempstead during most of the postwar period.It forms the largest part of the ward of Bovingdon, Flaunden and Chipperfield, which had a population of 4,600 at the 2001 census, The name is first mentioned in deeds from 1200 as Bovyndon. The Baptist church started as a Wesleyan Methodist Church and changed to Baptist.It could originate from Old English Bufan dune meaning "above the down" or from Bofa's down, the down belonging to Bofa. The Baptist church has a weekly morning service at a.m. The village is sometimes confused with Bovington Camp in Dorset.Guestrooms also come equipped with the latest high tech amenities.Located just a five minutes’ walk from the Star Ferry, the Langham offers the kind of indulgent cityscape breaks that are hard to forget.